The Wannabe Venture Capitalist

Monday, August 15, 2005

The First Entry

Ahhhh... I have finally stepped into the new era and started a blog. What spurred me to do this? Well, a number of Venture Capitalists started their own blogs and I thought that a wannabe venture capitalist should have one as well. Currently, there is VentureBlog.com written by Dave Hornik of August Capital and Feld Thoughts written by Brad Feld of Mobius Venture Capital just to name a couple (see this site for more VC blogs) and I suggest to anyone reading this that they check out both of those blogs as Brad and Dave have a lot of great insight to share.

As for what I plan to do with my little corner of the internet: I plan to make this blog about new, emerging technologies, how they will be commercialized/formed into profitable businesses, who is funding what, my thoughts on start-up companies that have received funding along with thoughts on their technology and my thoughts on the venture capital industry as a whole.

Please stay tuned for more as I ramp up my blogging effort over the coming weeks and months. I plan to have a lot of good information to share (possibly through a podcast as well) and I encourage feedback on the blog (I am new to this medium and all) along with replies to my blog entries which promote good discussion because that is what will help all of us learn and become better entrepreneurs and investors.

4 Comments:

  • I came upon your blog from ventureblog.
    It excited me becuase I do wannabe a venture capitalist. I am a finance student at the University of Texas in Austin. I am looking foward to your blogs, do not be shy to talk about tips for up and comings like myself.

    JPrice

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 PM  

  • I am glad to have you aboard as a reader. Currently I work on clients' venture capital portfolios as an analyst but I hope to make the move to being an actual venture capitalist at some point. Before I make that move I see myself getting into a start-up or building my own company in order to gain critical operating experience that will help me become a better investor (and also because it would be a heck of a lot of fun!).

    What would you like to see me write about? I am always open to suggestions from my readers. My next column will most likely be on Skype and similar technology followed by a column on music indexing and innovations in that area.

    By Blogger Eric, at 2:44 PM  

  • Maybe you could write about excatly what you do when you analyze your clients VC portfolios. So I can learn somthing and you might benefit by analyzing excatly what you do and why you do it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 PM  

  • Can you give me a more specific area to discuss? There are many things that I do when looking at a client's portfolio which could make the explanation very drawn out and uninteresting. If you don't have anything specific I suppose I could break up the process into pieces and release each piece on my blog separately. Let me know what you think.

    By Blogger Eric, at 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home