The Wannabe Venture Capitalist

Monday, October 17, 2005

Pre - BlogOn in NYC

First off, I just want to say that I am sorry I have not blogged in about a week and I should continue the apology to include the fact that this post will not be of my usual thought provoking type. I have been really busy getting my podcast together. The recording date is this Wednesday! In preparation for the first podcast, but really to get out and have some fun, I hopped on the train and headed down to NYC this weekend for the pre-BlogOn festivities. Specifically, I wanted to get to the NYC Geek Dinner (all about podcasting) and the BlogOn Meetup before meeting up with Dave McClure from SimplyHired.com for some late night NYC Pizza before catching my 3am train back to beantown.

The train to NYC was actually very comfortable and I enjoyed it far more than driving or flying. The comfort of the train allowed me to get some good reading time in and I was able to finish off John Battelle's "The Search." It is truly a great book and far more than just a book about Google. I recommend it highly. After finishing "The Search" my train was about 10 minutes outside of Penn Station so I got to enjoy the beautiful industrial backdrop around me for the rest of the ride.

After spending about 15 minutes or so trying to find my way above ground at Penn Station I hit the sunlight. Ahhhhh, New York City. The Empire State Building was to my right and the Geek Dinner to my back. Time to turn around start walking. The walk to the Geek Dinner took a lot less time than I thought so I had time to start reading Komisar's "The Monk and the Riddle" in the park before heading on in for some beers and podcast talk.

The people at the Geek Dinner were some of the top podcasters in the business. There was Michael Geoghegan of Reel Reviews, John Federico of Audible.com, Greg Galant of VentureVoice, Cameron Reilly of The Podcast Network (TPN), Scott Beatty of Podcast.com and Adam Varga of the DailySonic just to name a few. For the pictures please check out this flickr stream. Good stuff! There was some great talk about how to produce a podcast, what a podcaster should focus on, show formats, business models, and everything else you can think of. In fact, the chat was so good that Greg, Michael, Jason (GothamCast), Jason's wife and myself didn't get over to the BlogOn Meetup until about 9pm or so.

By the time we got over to the BlogOn Meetup most people had gone but we were able to strike up conversation with a few people and have a few good beers while we were at it. While we were at the BlogOn Meetup Dave McClure called and I headed over to his hotel to meet him. After Dave got his bags tucked away in his room we headed out on an epic quest for food and a laptop power cord. The power cord could not be found in NYC at such a late hour but we did manage to find a pizza place open in Penn Station although it was not the Roy Rogers food we were teased with not once but twice before.

Along with our pizza find Dave and I did stumble on some other weird happenings in our travels including a police officer asleep in a cab parked on the sidewalk and a semi driving the wrong way down a one way (see Dave's flickr for more) and then backing up and parking on the sidewalk. There seems to be a theme here... After that we chatted a bit more about business, entrepreneurship and life to the point where we were both falling asleep so I let Dave get some rest and I headed on my way back to beantown. Dave did make sure that I left NYC with some sweet SimplyHired and SimplyFired swag before I hit the road. Let it be known that I am a swag junkie so please send some my way.

Thanks to all who made my whirlwind pre-BlogOn Sunday such a great time. I look forward to keeping in touch with everyone and to seeing podcasting and blogging continue to grow.

1 Comments:

  • It was great to meet you Eric. That WAS a whirlwind great time Sunday. Here is another Flickr photo from the evening taken by Michael.

    Take it easy,

    Jason

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home